Tuesday, September 13, 2011

DIY Taggie Blanket

Two of my friends had baby boys in July and I am (ugggh) just getting around to finally getting baby gifts made and sent off. I was quite excited to make something for little boys, as I really have only had little girls born around me lately ever.


Have you ever noticed how babies love the tags on blankets and stuffed animals? Probably. Well, I have seen these taggie blankets in stores, but thought since I have too many spools of ribbon for my own good, I should put them to use and make my own version.


Here's what you need to make one too:

18 x 14 inch piece of cotton
18 x 14 inch piece of flannel
ribbon, about 8-11 yards total (33 three to four inch pieces) -- I wanted to use varying widths so you may need a few more, if you use all the same width ribbon.

Note: Those supplies are just what I used. You can make yours smaller or bigger and add more or less taggies depending on what ribbon you have on hand, or what you think looks best. (Buying 1/2 yard of the two coordinating fabrics allows you to make 3 of these, but using 2 fat quarter would work just as well to make one.)

Here are the steps I took:


1. Cut your pre-washed fabric to desired size, in my case, 18x14 inches (about 1/3 of a half yard cut of 44" pre-washed fabric) and cut your ribbon into 3-4 inch pieces. I made mine longer if they were thicker. I just thought it looked better.

2. Pin the folded ribbons to the right side of one fabric, arranged as you want them to be. Sew all the way around to secure the ribbons.

3. Pin both pieces of fabric, right sides together. Use pinking shears, if desired around edges. Sew nearly around entire rectangle, leaving a couple inches for turning.   Then turn, inside out.

4. Don't forget to stitch up the last couple inches, then you're done!

There you have it - easy and handmade, just the way I like gifts to be! Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, cause I will be happy to answer.

Update: Here is a picture my friend sent me of her little boy enjoying his taggie blanket.


What a cutie patootie, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...